6.21.2010

MOMENTOUS=people enjoying perfect moments of everyday life

I am sure it has been more than apparent that I've been a little off my A game with this thing lately...not much to report because I've been relatively busy and relatively uninspired! Summer living may be easy, but thoughtful living is always hard!

I recognize that I live an exceedingly lucky life. I spend a lot of time pondering that I could be poor, impoverished, denied my liberty, could be riddled with disease, could lose the people I love...and instead here I am alive, free, middle class, educated, healthy, and loved. So it can feel curious to me sometimes that I spend so much of my energy on this blog seeing the failings and trappings in my own life, brain, and in the world around me. And though I know my goal is to be constructive and thoughtful, I think it can also be a fairly negative place to reside.

So in an effort to combat this negativity and rejuvenate myself and my inspirato, I'm going to dedicate the next couple weeks to presenting to you some plain and simple abundance. I will showcase tidbits I find online that inspire me or make me happy or share experiences that I'm referring to as MOMENTOUS. In the past week I've caught people enjoying perfect little moments of life that grace all of us each day. And it made me wish I had the presence of mind to document it with a photo or a line....

MOMENTOUS no. 1: The other night I was driving home and happened to notice a man on a busy road in town called Foothill Blvd. who had stepped out of his daily routine and was standing on the curb of that traffic-y thoroughfare watching the sun sink low in the west. It was a particularly lovely sunset that night, and Foothill has a perfect view perched as it is up on the Eastern bench to the valley stretching out below-- clear down to the Great Salt Lake, where the sun sets this time of year. It was a sunset worthy of stopping the car and slowing down and yet no one did; not me, or anyone else. And yet there was that lone man stopping and looking westward, taking in the lovely moment playing out before him. I found it very inspiring and the mental picture I have of him still and smiling will stay with me forever.

MOMENTOUS no. 2: I was driving down yet another busy street, running errands, both my kids hot and cranky in the backseat. I was stopped at a red light and looked over to see these two adorable teenaged girls in outlandish outfits and purple haired wigs, each holding a sign that says "Wave if you believe in being FRIENDLY." How awesome is that? I rolled all our windows down and we honked and waved like mad to support such a simple, wonderful plea for camaraderie. It was a reminder that at our best we humans are humorous, kind, and willing to use our energy to promote happiness in others. It inspired me.

So there you have it. I hope you enjoy the next few weeks of daily posts. I hope they lift your spirits and inspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment