4.22.2010

Green is the New Black


Today is Earth Day, people. It's an important day to me because the Earth--Nature--is the closest thing I have to religion. I'm an earth lover. There is nothing that makes me feel happier than to be out-of-doors and in the fresh air. It always cures what ails me. I am in love with the tallest tree and the smallest leaf. I admire dew drops and fern curls and sparkly chips of hard granite. I like dirt under my fingernails. I watch wisps of clouds and limbs swaying in the breeze. My breath has caught in my throat at the sight of an apricot colored butterfly and the iridescent green throat of a humming bird. I've felt actual triumph at seeing a rainbow suddenly appear in the foreground of a dark thundercloud and fear to my toes watching a black bear lumber toward me. The exuberance, the creativity, the PERFECTION of every facet of Nature floors me. It gives me reassurance and makes me believe in something, somewhere, orchestrating this flawlessness.

I saw Avatar tonight. I think my mother in law and I were the last people on the planet NOT to have seen it, so we joined forces and went. I bring this up because I felt so amazed by the world depicted in the movie; unimaginable creatures and unique beauty and awesome scale as far as the eye could see. But seriously, has anyone watched Planet Earth or LIfe on Discovery Channel lately? There is nothing in Avatar that eclipses the beauty and the diversity of what we have right here on our very own planet. It's an amazing world out there and I for one hope that we can help find the balance in our lifestyles that will preserve what we have before it is too late.

It is cliche to say "Make Every Day Earth Day" but I'm going to recommend it anyway. There are so many little things we can all do to help our MAMA out. Small things add up when done by millions. In honor of Earth Day, here's a round up of some great links to ideas on little things we can all do to increase our GREEN. Enjoy!:




1 comment:

  1. Loved your entry today. I'm off to talk to the kids while we do breakfast & hair and share your lesson :). There is no question that when you appreciate something, you care for it better. See you tomorrow!
    x
    g

    ReplyDelete