12.31.2008

ground rules

the idea of this period of self imposed scarcity is to be reflective about going without and to reap the rewards of not spending any money for 31 days.  i am excited to see what the effect is on me and my family mentally, and whether i really feel and see a difference in how much physical stuff we have around.  

though i do make plenty of impulse buys each week at various places (coffee drive thru, something random for the kids--usually clothing, online purchases, etc.) the grocery store is definitely my number one place to squander our cash.  i like to cook and i regularly go 2-3 times a week to the store and can drop anywhere from $50-150 each visit which is ridiculous.  (shopping for specific fancy pants but yummy recipes can sure be a budget killer...pancetta?  porcinis? chervil?  it all adds up--definitely not the most cost effective way to shop and/or feed my family.) 

for the next month, i plan to avoid the grocery store and live off my well stocked pantry and freezer.  the only exception i will make will be to replenish the necessities like milk, eggs, and cheese or if i run out of essentials like baking soda or flour.  and since i do have children who are growing like weeds, i will also replenish fresh perishables like bananas and pears.  I am going to give myself a $15 per week budget that will cover these kind of basic items.  this weekly allowance will also need to cover any family entertainment costs we have, which i think will help me to achieve the second goal of this experiment which is to embrace being home more and doing less  out and about.   the low weekly entertainment budget will hopefully force me to be more creative about the things we go and do and will make any outings we have extra special.   i'm very interested to see if cleo and flynn notice a difference in how we spend our time this month.  

the only other exception to the budget rule is that cleo's 5 year old birthday is on jan 20.  i have already ordered her present online so technically the money for that has already been spent.  but i will have to think about whether a breach in the budget will be in order for her birthday party.  it may be interesting to see if i can do it on $15? a possible second experiment?  i will have to think that one through more carefully so let's just say i leave the door open for a budget breach for that one event this month.  i promise not to sneak a cashmere sweater in for me.

4 comments:

  1. Al, I am overwhelmed with emotions about your choice to forgo the extras. It is a choice that I feel compelled to make as well. Thank you for a little reminder of why we exist! I so easily get distracted by life and all the fun things to buy and do. If only I could live simply, I would understand the true meaning of happiness. You are a constant inspiration to me! Thank you!!
    I too hope this year is full of more meaningful family time, purposeful solo time and apprecitation for all the little things...
    All my love,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your experiment, and I love you. Thanks for sharing with us and for describing your feelings and ideas so artfully. I'll definitely stay tuned. Good luck. Count me in for a donation for Cleo's birthday bash.
    xoxox,
    mia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al, Is it a bad or a good thing that I have no idea what those fancy food words are? hmmm. At least they aren't blowing my budget, though plenty else does. I love the ideas you've articulated so far and since I know you, I know there are lots more brewing in your head -can't wait to experience your experiment this month. I am going to join you in my own way this month too, though I have to think through the particulars. Thank you for sharing! Love you, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everybody for the words of encouragement. posting here gives me a reason to hold myself accountable and stay excited about this as the month progresses. you will keep me honest. :)

    ReplyDelete