1.01.2009

i've got you by the horns, '09!

happy new year!! 

i had a great new year's eve spent around the fire with my kids and favorite friends and just the right amount of champagne. it felt like a luxurious way to head into this month of being low key and frugal.   my friend patrick opened up my pantry and went "whoa, what are you mormon?!"  so i knew i had the pantry impressively well stocked and ready to roll!   

i did a food inventory today (more on that later) and started thinking about some general meal plans for the month ahead from the things i have.  and this process reminded me of an email that circulated last year showing what different families around the world eat  and how much it costs each week.  the images have always stuck with me and the memory that the american families' food store was all this processed, boxed junk with so few fruits and veggies compared to some other diets around the globe. anyway, i was able to find the piece which is actually a series from a book called  "Hungry Planet" (which i would like to check out from the library) and the photos are featured on time.com  here's a link to it, it really is worth checking out  about how the world eats and how much we have in comparison to so many.

well i've been a slug all day and i'm off to do some more slugging on the couch with jaren before i hit the hay.  hope everyone had a fantastic new year's day and that it set the tone for a fabulous year ahead.  

1 comment:

  1. Al, you are such an inspiration...
    It is 7:20am...a rare time for me to be sitting at the computer contemplating life! Because I seldom check my emails...McKenzie shared your blog with me last night... and I have thought of little else!
    Posted just above my computer screen is the creed I thought I aspired to live by...
    "wanting less ends up being a greater blessing than having more".
    Ironically, your inspiration was a welcome coicidance after a day of (what I thought was a necessary shopping spree!) With one exeption,(a shower head for the master bathroom) everything else was another frivolous expenditure... including yet another 100% cashmere sweater for Nile!(the rational...$9.99 @ nps!). When will it ever end!!!
    Meal planning is a welcome adventure for me after all the restaurants we have frequented this last year during the renovation...Keep me updated with your food planning strategy and I'll make an attempt to "mormonize" my pantry!
    AND...
    Without trying to sabotage your frugality...Remember, there is a dirty Acura sitting in my driveway
    most mornings and I would be happy to
    share it with you any time!
    Make time to follow your bliss and know how very much you are loved.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete