1.29.2009

go ahead, make a wish


today i have to admit i'm missing lattes and aveda hairspray, a fresh haircut and a fresh, um, wax.  i'm missing multi-course meals and indian food lunch buffets.  i'm wishing i could go get that $3.50 sprinkles cupcake before i leave dallas.  i'm coveting those cute ugg slouchy sweater boots and fingerless gloves.   even in relative seclusion this month, my wants have a way of reaching me.  i think i'm coping with the denial by ingesting a steady supply of sweet treats. my sister knows how to treat house guests--with delicious baked goods! the muffins and sugar cookies are helping but the sacrifice of the month still stings a bit.  

i think it may be time to indulge in a secret weapon: online wish list "shopping".  my amazon and etsy wish lists are vast. i have pages of books for me and the kids, toys, kitchen items, etc. and on etsy i have so many unique vintage and handmade treasures listed under my favorites. i think wish lists are a wonderful tool to utilize.  they have shown me how enjoyable it can be to not buy something in the now but to virtually "save" it for later.  most websites & e-stores these days seem to have wish list features but i've also started my own master list for things i drool about that are from different odds and ends places. when i add something to the list, it does a number on my mind. it kind of tricks me into thinking i bought it. plus i really love the fact that items are recorded and saved for later just in case i have "extra" cash lying around. honestly i've probably found the wish list most useful for gift giving ideas but it is a very nice resource of wants and desires and a good reference point for phases my style choices go through.  periodically, i even do a virtual closet clean out on the lists because sometimes i get a little button happy and add weird crap on there that just doesn't jive--very similar to my actual closet.   i can see now that the wish lists are also going to be a great tool for me when i just feel the need for retail therapy but don't want to spend.  it's like window shopping but way, way less painful and, bonus, you can do it in your sweats. 

i can't believe i am nearing the end of the month. i've made it 29 days! yee-haw.  as i mentioned, i'm extending the project one week into february to compensate for this week in dallas, although, i have been able to stick to the $15 while i've been here. a serious shout out to amy and jon for their generosity and support.  time will tell, but i think these weeks have changed my habits enough that i'm not so sure i will ever go back to the way i handled money and buying before.  i've felt strangely powerful denying myself.  i'm not a masochist (far from it) but i really think sacrifice and showing yourself that you have the mettle to go without is a major boost--very self-gratifying.  i've felt so good watching our bank account balance stay steady and i know this translates into less pressure on jaren and more positive rewards for my family in the long run.  and despite my personal appearance and attire going decidedly downhill, it has definitely been a win-win for all of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment