7.19.2010

i heart my main man


I'm single moming it again and I've been really missing the influence of my main man on me and on the kids. There are just some things in the parenting world that seem to naturally be a Dad's domain. In my home, Jaren reigns supreme at being the joker and inserting laughter into the house when it is most needed. He's renown for his bedtime story voices. He does "the bubble", "the westerner", "the singer" and "the robot" with equal gusto. He also cleverly inserts the kids names (or the word poopie) into just about every story we read to the endless delight of both Cleo and Flynn. We have two children who are unable to fall asleep without back tickles and since both kids are primarily used to my magic fingers they sometimes put up a fight when it is Jaren's turn to tickle their backs at bedtime. Being the genius Dad he is, he invented a game to compete; he tickles according to animal. The elephant tickle being a hard pound like big ole elephant hooves beating up and down your spine; the bumblebee brings light pinches all over the back; and the whale a big thunk from way above once and only once. His clever approach to parenting is always a delight to me and a definite delight to our kids. They are so lucky to have someone in their life who can make them smile and teach them that life is just not much fun without humor. Come to think of it, I'm pretty lucky too.

I also thank my lucky stars that I married someone who knows a thing or two about working with his hands. Jaren is a skilled craftsman in just about every respect, he can build furniture and entire kitchens for heaven's sake! But what really gets me is his ability to just get in there and figure something out, no previous experience required. He is inherently capable. In the time I've known him he's taught himself how to be a plumber, an electrician, a landscaper, an IT guy, a drywaller, a car mechanic, and a father. Pretty impressive list, no? I know not all men are created equal in the do it yourself or spatial/mechanical vein, and there is no shame in hiring out, but what a gift it is to give your family that kind of hand's on capability. I love that Flynn already knows what a socket wrench and a screw gun are. And Cleo has already swung the hammer and watched her Dad, legs sticking out from under the engine, changing the oil. They get to see their Dad being a do-er and that means something in today's culture of instant gratification. And me? I get to day dream about endless house, garden, and kids projects knowing full well who I can rope in to do the job. :)

Three cheers to Jaren and to the men out there who keep traditions and knowledge and capability alive. And just so you don't think I'm only tooting my own man's horn, check out this A-mAZING blog made by joel. Now here is a Dad making and doing all in the name of parenting and entertaining his kids. The projects are simply too awesome to be described. (Not to mention being aesthetically perfect and sophisticated.) You must go check them out for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. I already said this to you in person, and on your facebook page - but I love this post :)

    ReplyDelete